World's First Mobile Laundry
Orange Sky Laundry, a free mobile laundry service for the homeless, was established in late 2014. Two friends, Nic and Lucas, started this service with putting two washing machines and two dryers in one van. Today Orange Sky has more than 750 volunteers and 15 laundry vans across our nation with further expansion plans bubbling along in the background. Orange Sky has already held more than 88,000 hours of positive, genuine and non-judgmental conversations with homeless people across Australia.
Richard Jay are proud to be a major sponsor and support, to the expansion, of Orange Sky Laundry vans across Australia. See Orange Sky Laundry’s special message for Richard Jay Pty Ltd. Read more about the Richard Jay and Orange Sky partnership.
The 2011 Census revealed that in Australia 105,000 people are homeless. This translates to 1 in 200 Australians, 56% of whom are male.
Orange Sky Laundry aims to:
- Connect communities
- Reduce transmission of diseases
- Limit demand on service providers
- Increase hygiene standards of the homeless
- Restore dignity
- Raise health standards
- Decrease strain on resources
- Expand to continue to help as many people as possible
- Transition the homeless back into society
A few highlights from the year 2016:
- A growth from four vans in January 2016 to Twelve in December 2016
- Huge recognition of the Orange Sky brand throughout Australia
- Award for Young Australians of the Year 2016
- First significant Government grant in Queensland to fund two new vans
- 11,000 hours of conversation in 2015 to 65,000 by December 2016
- An increase of 440 volunteers from January to December 2016
See the video where Orange Sky Laundry takes you through the 2 years they have already helped the homeless people with their mobile laundry across Australia.
Richard Jay Pty Ltd is proud to support this charity as they expand nationally. Click here to view a video of a presentation at UQ’s annual TEDx event. This is a prestigious forum for Orange Sky to spread their idea amongst other innovators.
Below two video's, one where Richard Jay Pty Ltd is installing a van with Orange Sky Laundry and another one where you hear stories from the street.